Dec 19, 2003

MY POEM (pt. 1)

Written back in the spring. Some perspective on being Black in Japan.

THE KOKUGAIJIN

big, black, scary dangerous
strapping, lax, aimless
we must avoid him at all costs
feelings of nervousness
pressure in his presence
discomfort
dodge, retreat away from
eyes too bright to stare at
too deep to know well
his tongue, his hair
his beat, his glare
He must be difficult
to deal with
his width consumes much
space on this train
need more space
between us
I saw one before
on TV
please don’t be that monster
I thought you would be
meaner, scarier
with fanged teeth
and firearms that you brought
across the water
leave my daughter alone
she prefers blue eyes
I WORRY about the woman next to him
I WONDER if shes OK with him next to her
with his black skin
and woolly hair
thoughts that I don’t see
Nor understand
HIM
And I know her fear of this
black foreigner
tall and grand
unlike our men
dwarfed by his stature
I wonder what its like to…

he’s probably a good singer
or dancer
maybe a basketball player or dj
maybe he’s OK
but he could be African
his hair interesting
so unique and different
his eyes deep and round
I can’t keep mine off him
but he’s too bright to stare at
I must look away

He looks so COOL

I WISH I knew him.

c 2003

No comments: