Dec 19, 2003

IT'S SNOWING!

Not like that's a big deal, it's only that this is the first time I've seen snow since I've been in Japan. Kinda cool to finally see something that makes me believe it's winter.

Last night: was really nice. I met Mr. Yamada (aka Yama-chan) near the train station closest to my house. He was waiting with a taxi, which we took to the restaurant. When we got out, I tried to pay my share, but he wouldn't let me. Again, the ever-flowing hospitality of my elementary school teachers.
The dinner was at a pretty swanky (read: HELLA expensive) restaurant near Nagoya Station. I mean the place had a little indoor waterway with a footbridge over it. They had fountains that trickled water down the walls. Swank.

Our party was on the 3rd floor in a small room with a nice view of the avenue below. We had good food, good drink, good convo. The nabe was good too, although there was some pork I had to dig around. They brought out a couple platters of sashimi, or raw fish chunks, garnished by the hollowed bodies of some strange cock-eyed fish. They turned out to be flatfish. Flatfish have both eyes on the same side of its head, so it looks really freaky. It was the first time seeing a flatfish, so I thought something was wrong with it! I was like, "Is this how it naturally looks?" It tasted okay though.

I had a pretty good talk with the teachers who were seated near me. Everyone had a good time, it seemed. Folks were really nice, telling me that they really wanted me to come back next year and stay at the school. I'd like to stay at my school, but unfortunately, the Board of Education makes all the final decisions and placement, so we'll see come spring.

The party was over around 8:30 (older folks don't hang out so late, as many of them have families and such), and we said our goodbyes and farewells. Everyone wished me a safe trip and return. I caught the train home. It was pretty cold on the way back; actually, it was snowing last night, too.

Ah well, I guess now would be a good time to start packing. Catch you on the other side?

No comments: