Mar 1, 2004

PINEAPPLE KOOLAID

After letting DJ Black (Richard) listen to my album (Imhotep: The Metalyrical LP), he wanted to try to link me with some of his Japanese Hip-Hop associates. He wanted to take me to Pineapple Studios to meet the owner who goes by the name of Koolaid. Koolaid is a Japanese graf artist and graphic designer. He runs his own studio where he heads up his graphic design and graf business; he also rents out some of studio space to Japanese dance instructors, who teach classes there throughout the week. Richard told me that Koolaid periodically put on big Hip-Hop events, and had rapper friends who were interested in recording some material with American emcees. He said Koolaid's music friends sometimes hung out at the art studio, so he was hoping to maybe catch up with them that night. I was definitely down with the idea, although after past experiences, I remain skeptical of Japanese Hip-Hoppers, in general.

After work, Richard scooped me up and we rolled down to Pineapple. We pulled up in front of the studio, which looked like a large garage with a nice graf mural covering the entire front wall. We entered the front door to the blaring sound of rap music (American, of course). We stepped in and immediately to the left was a large curtain. We peeked behind the curtain to find a co-ed group of dance students stretching and warming up in front of a mirrored wall. Richard led me past the reception counter to the back, and into a smoky little lounge room, where 3 guys were sitting and smoking, watching a video on a small tv screen. I met Koolaid, a young-looking guy with a tattoo by his left eye, Jun, the manager of Pineapple Studios, and some other guy who was only visiting. None of Koolaid's rapping buddies were present. Richard did most of the talking; amongst other business, he told the guys about "my skills" and how they should give me a listen. They seemed receptive and invited us to an open mic event they're putting on on the 27th at a club called Lush. They said there would be a live band playing. I asked if there would be Japanese emcees only, and they said most likely. Hmm. I'm not crazy about the idea of being singled-out as the only English-speaking emcee in a Japanese event. I'm not trying to get overlooked and underacknowledged due to bias--afterall, it happened before at Club Radix. I dunno. We'll see.

Koolaid seemed like a pretty mellow guy. I got to check out his portfolio, which was pretty tight. He definitely has talent and skills. During our visit, he was working on some hand-inked t-shirts which he was selling for 10,000 yen (about $100 US) per shirt. Jeez. Koolaid, didn't look older than 29 years old, and it seemed like he was sho'nuff making a fair amount of cream. He'd traveled to the states on many occasions and had learned alot about American graffing and Hip-Hop, so he seemed to be up on the real culture. Seeing Koolaid in Pineapple Studio had me musing the idea of talented Black illustrators and graphic artists coming to Japan and making a killing. Though, I soon caught myself, remembering the instability of Japans ultra-transient trendy market.

After hanging out for awhile, we dipped, but not before Koolaid gave us each two packets of Grape and Tropical Koolaid. He had cases of Koolaid packages he'd brought back from the States sitting on the reception counter. He was passing them out like business cards or something. Cute.

...Well, now I suppose I should get a pitcher and some sugar.

No comments: