Mar 23, 2004

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

Today was the last day of school for the kids. Since there were no real classes, the kids got to play games and recess most of the day. I basically had a full workday of free time so I went and hung out with some of them.

Yesterday's rain had dried up, and the weather was pretty nice--sunny, cool, and breezy. I went out on the giant sand playfield and played a little soccer with the second graders, then I joined the same class inside for a Janken (pr. john ken) (Rock, Paper, Scissors) tournament. Rock, Paper, Scissors is probably the most popular kid's game in Japan, and the means by which many kids' conflicts are resolved. If only world conflicts could be decided with Rock, Paper, Scissors.

At 3rd period, I got the chance to test out my new kite with the 1st graders. The light breeze made for ideal kite-flying conditions, though, to the relief of two flyers, I helped rescue a couple of wayward kites from trees. It was nuts trying to fly with 50+ kids running around. I don't think I went 3 minutes without ensnaring kites with one of the munchkins. I thought I was the man when I got my kite the highest, until little Kohei (pr. ko hay) topped me out--his kite must've reached at least 50 feet. He was the 6-year old man. That was pretty much my day at work.

Tomorrow we have our closing ceremony. One more day til' Spring Break!

No comments: