Mar 19, 2004

CURRY CRAZY

I've been eating curry rice about 2 months now, and haven't gotten sick of it yet. I'm already on my fourth 2 kg bag of rice, and have been cooking curry an average of 2-3 times a week. I can't get enough the stuff.

Red bell peppers were on sale for 100 yen the other day so I bought one, and added that to my curry for the first time. Curry with fresh bell pepper tastes great! I stopped putting apples in my curry--I think I overrated that flavor a little bit. I've got my cooking technique down to a science, and now I'm making chunky Power Curry, which consists of carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, white onions, and red bell pepper. Scrumptious.

Out of respect for the value of a dollar, I don't buy fruit or produce unless the price is relatively cheap. I just got a bag of 6 medium-large Aomori prefecture green apples that just dropped below 400 yen (about $4 US). I hadn't had bell pepper in months because they were about 158 yen (about $1.50) each. I just got some cold cereal for the first time this year. Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Krispies and Cocoa Chex were on sale for about 300 yen per box, although the Japanese sizes are about only 75% the size of the US boxes. I went crazy and bought 3, and some Rabu (J. pronunciation of "Love") brand milk. Mmm. Cold cereal with Love. This country could use some Fruit Loops, though.

No comments: