Mar 20, 2004

2 YEARS DEEP

Today marked exactly 2 years since I came to Japan for the first time. The time really flew by. The past two years have been quite an experience. I've learned a lot of interesting and surprising things about Japanese culture, and Asian culture, in general. I've been rendered illiterate and learned to read and speak all over again in a second language. I've experienced fear, love, mutual understanding, ignorance, simplicity, frustration, popularity, notoriety, anger, happiness, loneliness, and camaraderie. I've been shocked, bored, enticed, repulsed, denied, embraced, disrespected, and honored. Living in Japan has been a very character-challenging experience. Moreover, it's not greatened my pride in America, as it has my appreciation for the relative freedoms we enjoy as Americans.

Yesterday was also the first official day of spring, so hopefully we'll have some nicer temperatures coming our way. Word on the street is that cherry blossom season starts in just a few days for this region of Japan. If so, that means the flowers are blooming much earlier than last year. Actually, I was surprised to hear that, considering it's still pretty nippy weather-wise--I can still see my breath when I go into the bathroom at school. Looking forward to viewing those gorgeous flowers once again.

No comments: