Jan 13, 2004

SUSHI-SICLES

Brrrrr! It's officially winter off in this piece. It was quite cold today, plus there was a little breeze that was biting my face when I was riding my bike to the station from school. And by the time I got home, it was snowing--big, flluffy flakes at that! It almost felt like the CHI for a second, but the snow didn't stick.

Coming off of a 3-day holiday weekend, today, was my first day back at elementary school--and the love continues. Most of the kids seemed happy to see me, although the one 5th grade girl who hates me (for some unknown reason) gave me a scowl, as usual. One of the assistant principals presented me with a gift box of manju, smashed rice and bean pastries from his home prefecture of Fukui. That was pretty nice.

Again, the no heat thing is killing me; it was so cold today, even the principal was rocking his winter coat over his suit and tie. We had to move one of my 4th grade classes to a different classroom because the room we usually use was too cold. Instead, we had class in a classroom with a space heater. Some kids were bundled up in hooded sweatshirts and coats. But some kids are still being sent to school in shorts and skirts. I totally don't understand that.

I made apple-chicken curry again tonight. I added a lot of apples, so it was really sweet, and it was tasty. Me and my girl finished off the first batch for dinner yesterday. She, too, said it was good. I know I'm gonna cook this stuff until I get sick of it, but it's really good. I might have to experiment with some different flavors. Hmmm.. fish and potato curry sounds yummy.

No comments: