Jan 15, 2004

IT'S THE INSIDE THAT COUNTS

So school was a little bit less cold today, although i could still see my breath in the hallways. Some of the teachers asked me if I was cold. I suppose that was a rhetorical question. They asked, "Isn't it cold in Chicago?," as if to suggest I should be immune to cold weather. I was like "Yeah, but only OUTSIDE." We tend to have indoor heating in America. Sheesh.

After work I met up with Cooper at my home station. I hadn't seen him in a while, since last year. Once I realized I didn't have to catch the train so early to be on time for school, I started riding the earlier train less often, so I'd see Cooper much less. He called me up yesterday and said he wanted to meet. We went and sat in a nearby cafe in my neighborhood to get out of the cold and talk. He told me he'd just gotten married over the holidays, which solved his visa problems, and that he wanted to change jobs, so he could spend more time off; he's tired of working incredibly long hours and they're starting to affect his health. He asked me about jobs teaching English, and if I could put in a word at my company on his behalf. I said I'd do it. I definitely wouldn't want to be in his work situation, so I'd do what little I could to help him out of it.

No comments: