Jun 8, 2004

FRESH PRINCE OF NAGOYA

Every once in a baby-blue moon, and to my great surprise, some random Japanese stranger (almost always a guy) musters gall from some unknown source to strike up a conversation with me in public.

I was riding the ever-crowded morning train on the way to work, standing of course, when I noticed some guy who was facing me, to my left, staring me in the face. I didn't think this was unusual, as I often receive stares from train passengers. I find it rude and annoying, so I usually just stare back until they stop. This is usually an effective method.

However, when I caught this guy continuously staring out the corner of my eye. I began to stare back at him. He looked fairly not old, probably in his mid to late 30s, hair still black. To my surprise, it seemed he was trying to get my attention, and he tried to strike up a conversation with me, in English:

"Oh..hi..Where are you from?" he said.

Rather presumptive of him. How did he know I spoke English? I've found via my many encounters with Japanese people that many tend to think that all foreigners in Japan speak English. Many do, however, this isn't always the case.

"The United States." I replied.

"Do you work in Japan?" he continued.

"Yes."

"What is your work?"

"I'm a junior high school teacher."

"Really? I teach junior high school, too!"

"Is that right...what do you teach? I inquired.

"What do you think I teach?" he challenged.

Looking him over, "Mm..I dunno...history?" I guessed.

"No. I teach math."

"Ah. That's nice" I said, acting interested.

"You look like Will Smith."

I must've given this guy a look like "Are you serious? Gimme a break." I thought he could've tried a little harder than that. I don't look JACK like a Will Smith. I mean, we're not even the same complexion. C'mon guy, I know we all look alike, but dang.

"Are you serious?"

"You don't think so?"

"Mm, naw. I don't."

I suppose the guy was trying to create a compliment, so I didn't make a thing of it. Though, if some white person had made the same comment in the States, I probably would've told them to get outtta my face. With all the Black faces floating around the U.S., they would know better than to make such a comparison.

We continued our very brief conversation until the next stop where he got off, where I bid him goodbye and a good day.

Will Smith, though? ...Only in Japan.