Apr 15, 2004

U.S. TAX DAY '04

Today was the deadline for filing U.S. taxes. Got mine done and sent over spring break, so I should be straight with the IRS.

It was also my birthday today. I had a pretty normal day, mostly. In the morning teacher's meeting, Yamada-sensei asked me to stand at my desk. At first I didn't know why, then he said

"Today's your birthday?"

"Yes, it is," I answered.

Then everyone proceeded to sing the 'Happy Birthday Song' in English. That was a nice surprise.

I taught the new 1st graders for the first time today. In class 1-1, the kids sang the birthday song in English, which the teacher had prepped them right before class. They did a good job. In class, I formally introduced myself to them for the first time. Afterwards, the kids got to ask me questions in Japanese, which I answered in English. One boy asked me "Why is your hair like wool?," which the kids got a chuckle out of. The homeroom teacher went on to explain that everyone has different types of hair. It didn't take long for the kids to start grabbing me. After a few minutes I had a small swarm developing about my legs and waist. I couldn't take a full step without being yanked and inappropriately probed. One little boy was relentless, almost pulling my pants down. The homeroom teacher had to peel him off of me. I guess, to them, I was like a walking swing set.

In class 1-2, the kids wished me happy birthday, and some little girls had plucked some tiny little flowers from the school garden. Somebody handed me a leaf, someone else, an acorn. By the time I got all my "presents," I had a tiny little bouquet in hand. It was probably one of the cutest scenes ever.

At 4th period, I was invited to class 2-1, where the 2nd graders gave me a stack of handmade birthday cards, and origami animals. Real heart-warming stuff, I tell ya.

I've been having lunch with the 6th graders of Class 6-1 all week. Today at lunch, one boy asked me how to say "You make me sick" in English. I didn't want to give them any ammo, so with a straight face, I said "I love you." They were kinda doubtful at first, but once I said it in a disgusted tone, they started buying it. They started testing it out on each other right away. Heheh. Bad sensei.

Another kid asked me about the "f-word." I just looked at him and pretended like I didn't know what he was talking about. He kept repeating it, as if to jog my memory. "Is that English?" I asked.