Apr 7, 2004

BACK TO SCHOOL, pt. 2

Today was the entrance ceremony for JHS. Everyone assembled in the school's brand-spanking new gymnasium for the event. The ceremony went as usual. I easily recognized most of the new 1st year students, as they were the former 6th graders of my elementary school. A number of teachers had been moved, promoted, or changed schools, so there were new faces among the teaching staff as well as the student body. The prinicipal announced the homeroom teachers for the new school year and introduced them accordingly. All the teachers had to come in front of the gym, face the students and parents and bow. I also was called with several new teachers and was introduced. The principal did an okay job of pronouncing my name, in a goofy sort of way. Everyone knows me already so it was cool.

After the ceremony, the new class of 1st graders went to their homerooms to meet with their new teachers. Like the elementary ceremonies, the parents came to the classrooms to take pictures of their kids in their new uniforms and bookbags and whatnot. I went up with the vice-principal to observe and greet and congratulate the parents. About half of the parents knew me from elementary school so a number of them greeted me. One dad came up and shook my hand. It was interesting because although I'm not a new face, I'm still a foreign face, and I could still see a lot of hesitance and shyness amongst the parents to speak to me or greet me. I don't really think the whole Japanese foreigner complex is going to change. I was glad about the parents who did extend their courtesy.

Oustide, the new students posed for pictures with their new homeroom teachers and parents. I went out with the vice-principal and assistant principal to observe. Some of kids who knew me from elementary school came up to me and said hi. They seemed happy to see me again. I had a good rapport with most of those kids, so I'm looking forward to teaching them again.

As in all schools, the home room teachers change every year, which means that most teachers will have to teach different grades. This somehow makes every school year fresh, I suppose. A lot of the teachers at JHS also changed grade levels which, I think, hopefully, will change the dynamic of how different teachers interact with me. Hopefully, I can have a more positive year interacting with my JHS teachers. I'm npt worried about the students.

On another note, the drama between my company and Richard continues. They've officially dismissed and replaced Richard, which has put him on an extended holiday. He's pretty pissed about the whole situation and may sue, via the Nagoya labor board. The silly thing is, the company claims it didn't fire Richard, they simply didn't renew his contract. The bottom line is homie had a job before, now he doesn't, and ya'll (the company) don't want to pay him anymore, and he didn't resign, SO, if that doesn't constitute being fired, then I don't what does. The truth is, Japanese companies very rarely fire employees, so in this case, I think they just didn't have the guts to actually say the words "you're fired." It's simply outside of Japanese culture to do a thing like that. We'll see how that develops.

No comments: